RE: An invitation to Andrew and others (long)

Subject: RE: An invitation to Andrew and others (long)
From: "MacDonald, Stephen" <Stephen -dot- MacDonald -at- Aspect -dot- com>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 10:27:40 -0400

Gwen Thomas wrote:

>So how is it that I find myself both still wanting to "fire" Andrew for his
>actions and also agreeing with most of the well-thought-out concepts in his
>"Control" post?
>
>Because the issue of freedom vs. control in enterprises is and always has
>been one of fuzzy boundaries, at-odds goals, and impossible balancing acts.

If any of us think we've fought battles over access to information, working
out the issues around knowledge access and sharing that are implicit in the
vision of knowledge management will look like intergalactic war.

I think what some are reacting to in Andrew's granting himself permissions
is that he is hiding his own need to control behind "noble" motives. The
issue is NOT control vs. freedom, but who gets the control. Andrew taking
it upon himself to go around the normal process (even if many of us think
the result is a benefit) is simply Andrew deciding that his control is more
virtuous than the company's control. In my experience, persons who have
railed against the oppressive measures of the organization/state are worse
control freaks than the ones they are complaining about. It always has to
be their way or it's no good.

Steve MacDonald
Aspect Telecommunications, Inc.