Client from Hell redux

Subject: Client from Hell redux
From: Ron Sering <rsering -at- excalib -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 08:25:32 -0700

Hello whirlers! I've agreed to perform a contract for a client who has begun
ignoring contract agreements almost from the git-go. This isn't due to
unscrupulousness, but to poor (nonexistent) processes in place in their
business, and a fragmented decision-making structure. The upshot of this is
that their failure to provide me things like software for research and an
approved outline jeopardizes the success of the project. In addition,
decisions made on one day are ignored or countermanded a day or two later,
forcing me to lose time in changing direction.

And this is part venting, part confusion about what to do, as I am still
relatively new to this contracting game and haven't had to deal with a
client like this. What does one do to retain a degree of professionalism and
make sure that they understand that the inevitable cost overruns and missed
deadlines are their problem, not mine?