Re: STC Annual Conference trip reports?

Subject: Re: STC Annual Conference trip reports?
From: Jane Credland <jane -dot- credland -at- quintus -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 11:35:39 -0700

Tracy Boyington wrote:

> Janice Gelb wrote:

> > One very interesting point they made was that studies
> > show that, contrary to our visual instincts, it's
> > actually better ergonomically to have clickable TOCs
> > and links on the right side of the page rather than
> > the left for easier mousing.
>
> That *is* interesting. It makes sense, but did they say if they had done any
> usability testing? I wonder if the left-side index is so ingrained that you would
> lose more than you gain by moving it to the right. Did they have any examples of
> sites that use it?

I'm curious about usability testing as well. I'm also wondering whether
this depends on whether the user was right or left handed, and which
side the mouse is on. For example, if you're a left handed person, or
you keep your mouse on the left side of your keyboard, then it seems to
me that a left-side index would be more convenient and ergonomic.

Jane
jane -dot- credland -at- quintus -dot- com