Re: Should we hire this guy?

Subject: Re: Should we hire this guy?
From: "Michael Collier" <mcollier -at- arlut -dot- utexas -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 13:58:35 -0500

It sounds like you are looking to hire an inexperienced individual for a
position that by your own description is difficult to do. Does this position
have to be filled by an entry-level individual?

I think you are better off filling the position with an _experienced_
*writer* who has some of the engineering background you are looking for.

It doesn't sound like the candidates you are considering are actually
preparing for a technical writing career, are they? I would be wary of
offering a position to such a candidate, as they would seem to be more
interested in engineering than writing and might not stick with you very
long.

I question your apparent reasoning that a college technology graduate
without work experience can do the technical writing job better than either
an experienced or inexperienced tech writer with a technical edge. I think
a savvy technical writer could do the job.

Michael Collier, Technical Writer Office: N546
Information Systems Laboratory http://isl.arlut.utexas.edu/
Applied Research Laboratories: The University of Texas at Austin
Voice: 512-835-3408 e-mail: mcollier -at- arlut -dot- utexas -dot- edu