Fwd: Re: us vs. them (somewhat long)

Subject: Fwd: Re: us vs. them (somewhat long)
From: Jean Ostrem <jostrem -at- tdl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:10:35 -0700

I would like to cheer Walden Miller on and thank him for his post. I nearly posted something like it two days ago. Can't we all just get along?

I'm tempted to add a little lecture about how you chose this profession and you have to accept it warts and all. But I won't. I like to complain sometimes myself, and I understand the need to vent.

I would like to point out something that very much goes unsaid here: While engineers get more respect than tech writers, there are a lot of other professions that get less respect and less reward. Talked to your janitor lately?

And, forgive me, but I'd like to make one correction to the reply from Dan Roberts:

>We must also be agents of change.
>We can change the processes within our companies.
>We can change the attitudes of our co-workers
>We must facilitate communication between departments and between our
>companies and their clients/customers.

one thoroughly non-serious epigram comes to mind: "You can lead a horticulture,
but you can't make her drink."

That's "can't make her think."