RE: Business continuity good reasons to get docs up-to-date

Subject: RE: Business continuity good reasons to get docs up-to-date
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: klhwrites -at- idirect -dot- ca, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:24:38 -0400

This is only peripherally related to the topic, but...

At Ericsson in Montreal, we developed our Biz-Cont
plan in 1997. Then, ICE STORM '98 (TM) struck. Our
main facility and documentation and our (generator-
backed-up) systems were undamaged. However, we had
enormous personnel and communication problems.

People who had come to rely on being able to make a
phone call to get info, or to connect remotely to
our LAN for software and for the system documentation
they needed to help our customers... couldn't. Phone
lines, power lines and cellular antenna towers were
crushed and toppled all over the place. Often, roads
were impassable -- the office worked fine, but many
key people couldn't get to it, in timely fashion.
Also, Montreal was isolated for several days with
planes, trains and highways closed down.

So, while good, up-to-date docs are essential in a
crisis, you also need to plan alternate ways to
access them, and to grant access to others who will
need 'em.

Part of the problem with ICE STORM 98 (TM) was that
we had planned for all sorts of sudden and brutal
disasters, but not for a slow-motion disaster that
snuck up on us over many days. We should have declared
it on Monday, but didn't do so until Thursday.

Ahh, hindsight.

/kevin (now living in Ottawa)