RE: Business continuity good reasons to get docs up-to-date

Subject: RE: Business continuity good reasons to get docs up-to-date
From: "Steve Read" <stephenread -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:21:59 -0600

> >>Any brilliant suggestions? Any solid reasons as to why we cannot go
> >another minute with out having our systems documented? Our IT department
> >reports to Finance and our CFO is a very demanding task master.
> It is he I
> >need to sell the idea to.

Just to add my $.02 worth--I'm documenting a slew of applications at the
code level for a reasonably successful dotcom. It came to their attention
that it needed doing when the applications programming manager decided he
had enough money :-). None of the developers had *anything* written down.
Every time a new developer starts, another one has to spend a day or three
(at vast expense) to bring the new person up to speed. It's much cheaper to
pay me for three or four months (and I get to solidify my Java skills).

Steve Read