Re: working with other writers

Subject: Re: working with other writers
From: Jean Ostrem <jostrem -at- tdl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 18:29:53 -0700

> I'm interested in stories about the ups and downs of working with other
> writers. I'm used to working alone, and now I find working with other
> writers challenging. What works? What doesn't? How do you deal with
> "territory"?

Wow. I have worked with other tech writers, and I have worked alone. I prefer having other tech writers. If nothing else, it gives you someone you can complain to when the engineers are being too pesky, getting too much recognition, getting paid too much, etc. Actually, what I love about it is I can bounce ideas off of other writers, and I so miss that when I'm working alone. I think my writing suffers when I work alone.

I have worked alone and in groups of up to 9 people as a subordinate, peer
and manager. I have found these three items make or break a team:

1. clearly defined responsibility -- each team member needs to be
responsible for one or more deliverables and/or document stages.
Deliverables may include; product, document chunk, help, graphic,
print-ready version, electronic version and so on. Document stages may
include; interviewing, first draft, copy-editing, technical editing, style
guide compliance checking, sanity check (last look before release/printing
and so on.
Everyone on the team should know who is responsible for what and how these
responsibilities effect the group and the deadlines.

I'm going to amend this one slightly because I think in very small teams, it's OK to have everyone responsible for everything.

I started out in writing departments where I was the lone writer on a book but others wrote similar books. I was responsible for my book, and there was a lead to make sure the book set gone done. Lately, I have worked on single books with teams of writers. Nobody owns anything. A chapter gets assigned to you to update, and you do. Every once in a while, somebody goes into "bug fix" mode and touches a lot of different chapters. Nobody owns any one particular part of the book, although it typically works out that certain writers get knowledgeable about certain subjects and they are typically the ones who update those chapters. When release times comes, we all discuss what needs to be done and who's got time to do it. It works as long as everybody is honest, above-board, and professional. If egos and personalities are getting in the way, you need #3 below to lay down the law.

2. balance independence with standardization -- meet on
style/standards/template issues as time permits, but assign each task to a
decision maker to prevent endless discussions on the whether to use
'describes' or 'explains'.

You're taking all the fun out of point 2. If you can't debate "describes" vs. "explains" for hours on end, how can you call yourself a tech writer? :-)

One group I worked with did occasionally discuss matters like these and reach a consensus as a group. When we reached an impasse, somebody would do samples of each possible solution and we'd discuss the relative merits of each and solicit opinions from other departments in the company. I suppose that if the impasse still existed, it was up to the manager to decide, but I can't recall that ever happening. The worst that ever happened is that one side got so stubborn it wore the other side down. It's a much slower process than assigning somebody to lay down the law, but do you have any idea how nice it is to work in a group where each person's opinion is heard, valued, and respected?

3. pick a good manager -- nothing promotes a good team and a team's good
standing in a company better than the right manager.
Good managers can hire and keep the right employees. Back-biting, gossip,
personality conflicts and slackers are all minimized in groups with good
people managers. Managers with strong people skills create job satisfaction,
loyalty and strengthen the team work ethic.
Ideal managers understand technical writing work (breeds respect), schedule
and balance the workload appropriately (instills confidence and a can-do
spirit), fight for their group (builds trust) and have a positive attitude
(always easier to work with a smile).

I would also add point 4.

4. Be flexible and have a thick skin.

Maybe you aren't used to having somebody critique your writing, but you should keep reminding yourself that everything has room for improvement.

To give you some very practical advice, here's a trick I use because I find myself getting cranky in my old age. During peer reviews (and non-peer reviews for that matter) I have the other writers write comments down on hard copy and leave me alone with the comments in a room for a few minutes. Then if the comments make me mad, I can get steamed in private. When I calm down, I go to the writers and constructively discuss any disagreements that I have that I think are valid. They may accept what I say or may reiterate their point. We can usually find a solution, and usually that solution produces a better book.

Also understand that everybody's got a different work style. A process that works well for you may not work well for everybody. Myself, I am anal and deadline-happy, and procrastinators drive me nuts. But if I'm working with someone who puts things off, I practice my deep-breathing relaxation exercises as long as they meet deadlines and do a good job.