Estimating conversion for Word-to-Frame for print and HTML

Subject: Estimating conversion for Word-to-Frame for print and HTML
From: anne -at- visi -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 19:13:03 -0500 (CDT)

I'm looking for advice, and I haven't found what I need in the archives.
(There's almost *too* much info! :-)

I am converting a manual set from Word-&-RoboHELP to FrameMaker-&-HTML.
This set has a total of printed 350 pages, and approximately 400 online
help topics.

My question: How much time should I allow for the conversion process?
Know any good rules of thumb for estimating how long this will take?

The Gory Details:
I inherited the existing manuals. Each current manual has two versions.
The Word version is designed for print; and contains 4-5 images (plus
10-20 screensnaps, which I must re-do anyway). The online/RoboHELP version
contains virtually identical text, but was redesigned/reorganized for
online help (currently WinHelp3), with about 3-5 images; no screensnaps.

Caveats and Info:
- I am the only writer; no chance of farming out tasks or getting help
with inevitable glitches.
- I know FrameMaker moderately well, Word less well, and RoboHELP not at all.
(My RoboHELP files are corrupted, so I don't expect much automation here.)
- I've read several Frame conversion tips (clean up your styles, get a good
template, etc.) but because I've never done any major conversions, I
suspect that I'll do everything the hard way anyway. Murphy's Law, and
all that...
- I must convert the online help to "pure" HTML - no nasty .chm files allowed.
So far, Frame's "save as HTML" feature has worked OK, but I'm looking for
tips and tools on possible improvements.

Any advice on how to estimate the time for conversion will be gratefully accepted.

Many thanks in advance,
Anne Chenette
anne -at- visi -dot- com