Re: working with other writers

Subject: Re: working with other writers
From: "Barb Einarsen" <barb -dot- einarsen -at- gnnettest -dot- com>
To: <kstanzler -at- earthlink -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 16:10:35 -0400

> I'm interested in stories about the ups and downs of working with other
> writers. I'm used to working alone, and now I find working with other
> writers challenging. What works? What doesn't? How do you deal with
> "territory"?

I have worked alone and in groups of up to 9 people as a subordinate, peer
and manager. I have found these three items make or break a team:

1. clearly defined responsibility -- each team member needs to be
responsible for one or more deliverables and/or document stages.
Deliverables may include; product, document chunk, help, graphic,
print-ready version, electronic version and so on. Document stages may
include; interviewing, first draft, copy-editing, technical editing, style
guide compliance checking, sanity check (last look before release/printing
and so on.
Everyone on the team should know who is responsible for what and how these
responsibilities effect the group and the deadlines.

2. balance independence with standardization -- meet on
style/standards/template issues as time permits, but assign each task to a
decision maker to prevent endless discussions on the whether to use
'describes' or 'explains'.

3. pick a good manager -- nothing promotes a good team and a team's good
standing in a company better than the right manager.
Good managers can hire and keep the right employees. Back-biting, gossip,
personality conflicts and slackers are all minimized in groups with good
people managers. Managers with strong people skills create job satisfaction,
loyalty and strengthen the team work ethic.
Ideal managers understand technical writing work (breeds respect), schedule
and balance the workload appropriately (instills confidence and a can-do
spirit), fight for their group (builds trust) and have a positive attitude
(always easier to work with a smile).