Re: What should an introductory seminar on tech writing cover?

Subject: Re: What should an introductory seminar on tech writing cover?
From: bbatorsk -at- nj -dot- devry -dot- edu
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 15:10:51 -0400

Peter,

When I used to teach short sessions, I started with pieces of writing from
the audience. I tried to collect these beforehand and let them guide my
presentation. The focus in my case was to teach basic revision strategies
(audience, audience, audience) and to identify the particular editing
issues that I find, being sure to distinguish carelessness (which accounts
for the vast majority of editing errors) from actual ignorance of rules.

Just teaching people about the need to revise and edit is usually effective
IF you use their own writing and teach from the work they bring to the
seminar. Getting samples from the participants beforehand is best for all
the important reasons: motivation, involvement, practical results, and
relevant feedback. I would keep it simple by keeping it relevant to the
audience. (For me, all this was always easy and interesting because in
fact I teach my semester long course the same way, simply applying and
elaborating the "basics" over increasingly complex projects, adding project
management and teamwork to the mix).

I always keep three points in mind when I go into these teaching situations:
Montessori's belief that the most important skill of a teacher is observation.
There is no good writing only good re=writing (So teach revision if you
teach good writing).
Knowledge is constructed: I don't teach writing, I teach students.

I enjoyed those one day seminars. It's fun meeting new people, and you
don't experience the mid-semester slump. You may become addicted. Have
fun and let them have fun.

You might want to try this question on the ATTW site if you haven't already.

Barry Batorsky