White Papers - Structure

Subject: White Papers - Structure
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -dot- mike -at- epamail -dot- epa -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L, (Tech Writers)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 09:21:59 -0400

Here at Lockheed-Martin, for US EPA, we write two slightly different
kinds of white papers:

1) Information Papers
2) Decision Papers

They're very similar but have a slightly different focus. They address
the same audience. Often, the customer will ask simply for a "white
paper" and we choose the approach. However, EPA has established the
following frameworks for these papers, which we use as guidelines, but
do not follow strictly.

Information Paper
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1.0 TOPIC
2.0 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3.0 BACKGROUND
4.0 INFORMATION
5.0 REFERENCES

Decision Paper
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1.0 REQUIREMENT/PURPOSE/ISSUE
2.0 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3.0 BACKGROUND
4.0 ASSUMPTIONS
5.0 CRITERIA FOR EVALUATION OF ALTERNATIVES
6.0 ALTERNATIVES
7.0 RECOMMENDATIONS

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

-Mike
--
Michael Andrew Uhl (mailto:uhl -dot- mike -at- epa -dot- gov)
Lockheed Martin - U.S. EPA Scientific Visualization Center