Re: hyphen or en-dash?

Subject: Re: hyphen or en-dash?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 16:23:08 -0400

Danielle,

It's an understandable extension/conflation of two standard conventions,
and if there are a lot of these en dashes, I'd say leave them alone (as
long as they were used consistently). If there are just a few, you
should have them corrected if you have time.

The principal use of the en dash, as I'm sure you realize, is to replace
a preposition (usually _to_) or a conjunction. The compositor's
proofreader may be interpreting hyphenated names as having some sort of
prepositional or conjunct relationship. (Of course the fact that people
refer to them as hyphenated names ought to be a hint, right?)

A second use is to connect a prefix to a phrase, as in pre?World War II
(where I typed an en dash, but I don't know how well it will come
through the listserv). If the proofreader has guessed that this has to
do with proper nouns, rather than with the phrase structure, then
assigning en dashes to the compound names would be a natural error.

HTH,

Dick