Collaborative Docs & Frame

Subject: Collaborative Docs & Frame
From: Mark Dempsey <dempseys3 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L, a list for all technical communication issues" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 11:23:45 -0700

We're assembling docs from several SME's, and I'd like to suggest using
FrameMaker. My hesitation about this is because the SME's use of Visio,
Exel, and Word to create the basis for what we're going to publish. They
also will have to edit, and add to the framework document we provide.

My suggested workflow is: 1. Put SME's Word/Exel/Visio into Frame, 2.
Produce Acrobat from the Frame doc. 3. Give SME's Acrobat files to
comment about (and cut-and-paste from), 4. Publish as PDF. (see
http://www.geocities.com/dempseys3/acrobat.pdf for an example of what's
possible)

The difficulty with this is that I'll probably redraw their Visio, and
spend hours reformatting their Excel in Frame Tables.

Has anyone handled this problem of collaborative document assembly
gracefully using Frame, not Word? (please, no holy wars!) If we do stick
to Work, its output in Acrobat has many fewer visual cues (e.g. blue
cross-references that are hyperlinks) than I can supply using Frame. Is
there a work-around for this that would, e.g., make TOC cross-references
blue?

--
Regards

--Mark Dempsey