Robohelp Crashes

Subject: Robohelp Crashes
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 14:28:32 -0600

Has anyone else encountered problems with Robohelp HTML 2000
crashing on import of HTML files or on double-clicking to
edit topics? I get "This program has performed an illegal
operation and will be shut down" with an error in kernel32.dll.

I've already inquired on the Robohelp list at eHelp and
been down the road with their tech support, but things
have degenerated to the point that they want me to import
HTML files into Microsoft Word, then resave as HTML to
"refresh the code and fix any possible corruption".
Obviously, if we're to the point of round-tripping HTML
docs through Word to _fix_ corruption, they're grasping
at straws.

The HTML documents are hardly pristine, but they're not bad.
I've munged them through HomeSite's codesweeper, so they're
certainly acceptable. They display in regular browsers
and import into other packages without problems.

I've done the obvious--reinstalled Robohelp, installed the
service pack, uninstalled and reinstalled (after cleaning
the registry), and even installed on a Windows ME Beta
to try to get around the problem (only to find Robohelps
network awareness was a real PITA), but my problem is
pretty easily reproducible, with or without my HTML files,
on both of my systems (just not on the ones at eHelp, where
they've tried).

Yes, the files work just fine in ForeHelp, so that's obviously
the answer, but now I'm really curious about both the answer
and the frequency of this problem. eHelp tells me they've
never seen it before, but I have some reliable sources that
inform me that it's certainly not new. Anyone else know about
this?

Eric