Index from multiple documents?

Subject: Index from multiple documents?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:59:15 -0700

"KLEIN, DAVID (SBCSI)" <dk2445 -at- txmail -dot- sbc -dot- com> wrote:

>Ideally, the tool will go into each document, pull out keywords and then
>create the index in a separate document.
>
>Is this the fantasy of a crazed developer's mind, or is something similar
>available? I told him I would ask, but he shouldn't get his hopes up.

If you're using FrameMaker, this tool does exist. It's called
IXgen, and is available from Frank Stearns and Associates. Once
you've created a list of key words, you can apply them to a
single file or a book file, then generate an index.

If you want to fine-tune your index, you can then extract all the
index markers into another Frame document, edit them, then
reapply them.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
"The Open Road" column, Maximum Linux