Re: Take this engineer and shove it

Subject: Re: Take this engineer and shove it
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Techwrl-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 08:46:42 -0700 (PDT)

"Rock, Megan" wrote ...

> Andrew said:
>
> >4. Know the answers to questions before you ask them.
>
> Then what is the point of asking the questions? Isn't that a waste of my
> time and the engineer's? I understand your underlying meaning, I think, and
> I agree that we should research the answers to our questions and find out as
> much as we can before we bother an engineer with a moronic question, but
> sometimes asking a moronic question and getting a somewhat decent answer is
> what it takes to move forward on a project. And that allows you to
> accomplish #10, getting the job done.

I never said don't ask stupid questions.

This is a fundamental concept of investigation. You have to know what you are
looking for if you ever hope to find it. Therefore, before you ask a question
you have an answer in mind. When you get an answer you compare it to your
solution. Ideally, the two match. If they don't you now have a basis for
comparison.

There are basically two responses to engineers when they answer a question:

1. Really, I did not know that.
(Engineer answers your question and it is the same as your answer.)

2. Wow, I always thought it was __________<insert your answer>.
Engineer confirms his answer or reverses him/herself and agrees with you.

Asking questions without having an answer in mind is like buying a plane ticket
without knowing the destination. Sure, you'll go somewhere, but you might not
like it when you get there.

Andrew

Do te do te doo: http://members.home.com/aplato

http://invites.yahoo.com/