Adobe Post Script and PPD files(Problems with PDF and Printing)

Subject: Adobe Post Script and PPD files(Problems with PDF and Printing)
From: "Craig McKerlie" <crud17 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 16:20:57 GMT

I am a tech writer that has spent many a day having to work out printing problems and PDF creation problems. Mainly due to employers that did not want to spend the money to make things right.

One thing I can relate to all of you is that Adobe products (All of them.) Do not particularly like HP printers and a few others. If you have spent some time with these printers then you know that HP sells their line of post script printers with the model designation of PCL. HP does not use the PPD files and post script in the same manner as Adobe. In fact the PCL stands for an emulated post script printer. After many hours of conversations with Adobe techs and going over the miles of text concerning problems with HP printers. I discovered that while Adobe products will work on a some what regular basis with HP PCL printers, they don't recommend it. I wish I still had the text to share with you all, but I have miss placed it.

Most of the problems that arise with using an HP PCL printer happen with documents that are created and then exported as PDF's from Page Maker and Frame Maker. Adobe tech support does have work arounds available, but unless you have administrator privileges on your network it won't do you any good. Not to mention that you have to spend hours on the phone and get elevated to the next higher level above the person who normally answers the tech support lines.

To save time and a lot of head aches, I usually just have a printer driver installed for a non-existent true Adobe Post Script printer. That way I can create PS files and PDF's without problems.

Note: In case you do not know what a PPD file is- It is a printer description file that is used by some software to acquire information about a printer in order to pass the correct information to the printer. For instance in include the post script level that the printer uses, etc.

So if you want to eliminate some of your problems look in to whether or not your printer is a true post script printer or is it using an emulated post script file. Remember HP does not manufacture true post script printers.

That's my $.02
-Craig