Re: them engineers

Subject: Re: them engineers
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 06:21:10 -0700

"Smith, Martin" <martin -dot- smith -at- encorp -dot- com> wrote:

(*snip*)

> The lack of respect issue is one that I have battled my entire
career, often
> because of engineers' bad experiences with technical writers in the
past. I
> have simply come to accept the fact that I will have to prove myself
each
> time I begin working with a new group of people. Generally this
entails
> demonstrating an ability to accurately comprehend the source
material and
> produce meaningful documents with a minimum of hand holding.

I had the displeasure of interviewing a rather nasty engineer once.

The engineer had designed the project I was writing the documentation
for and wrote the installation procedure for this device. I wanted to
get the technician's take on the engineer's installation procedure ...
but, alas, the tech wasn't there, and my supervisor sent me to the
engineer -- against my better judgement.

Long story short, lots of finger jabbing, closely followed by "use
what I
#*^&'ing wrote!"

Complained to his boss, who apologized about the incident, and
explained that the engineer's people skills were lacking, but he was a
good engineer. :o\

Deadline was approaching. I cleaned up the text (typos) and hoped for
the best.

Now, I'm a fairly technically competent kind of guy: 14 years in the
Navy as a technician, picked up a technical writing certificate at a
local community college (Bellevue Community College, with a
concentration on programming) and I play with computers for fun ... so
I could understand what the engineer wrote -- but I wanted a
technician's perspective. Having done a turn as a technician trying
to repair equipment with badly written documents, I know the
technician's point of view was important.

So ... the UW's program is good, huh? Do they accept transfer
credits? My certificate isn't getting me any work .....

--gdw