Re: Learning C Programming Language

Subject: Re: Learning C Programming Language
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 01:13:57 -0700

> Fellow Tech Writers:
> I'm a student in technical communication seeking advice on a good
book that
> may help me learn C language on my own. I'm especially interested in
those
> that come with compilers, as I do not have access to one. For the
purpose of
> doing exercises in the text, do these compilers really work? How
about books
> on Visual Basic? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Adam --

Not a book, but a "free" resource on the internet. Check out

http://www.codewarrioru.com

The folks at Metrowerks offer free courses in C++ ("Uber C," as a
programmer friend of mine once described it). The catch: they advise
you to have their compiler ($50). The text ("C++ Primer") is also a
bit pricey (~$35.00).

Since CodeWarrior would be new to you, it would be a good idea to take
the course "Introduction to CodeWarrior" before you start the C++
course.

Cross platform (i.e., Mac and Windows), too.

If this is too pricey, there's lots of "Teach Yourself C" books out
there that come with CDs and compilers.

If you're a real "techie" and have no fear of Linux, the GCC compiler
will do the trick (and has the added feature of allowing you to code
in Objective C).

As for VisualBasic, the text book that came with my course (10 weeks
--!) was pretty good. It was "Programming in Visual Basic 6.0," by
Julia Bradley and Anita Millspaugh.

Finally, for learning programming (any language), I recently posted a
question to the Mac programmer's news groups, asking what the best
method of learning to program was. As you can imagine, I got a lot of
different answers ... but the most popular one was "get a book, play
with the examples."

My recommendation? Get a couple books (you'll probably get a lot of
choices in response to your post). Play with the samples.

A little pre-sleep visualization can't hurt, either.

Hope this helps ......

--gdw