Re: rêsumê or resumê ?

Subject: Re: rêsumê or resumê ?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: kerryn murray <verrrnice -at- hotmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 06:22:34 -0400

Kerryn,

The only _correct_ form is résumé (note that these are acute accents,
not the circumflexes you typed).

Using one accent or the wrong accent is far worse than leaving them off
altogether. Many people just leave them off, assuming that in context
nobody is going to mistake the word for resume [restart]. In email and
other informal correspondence, I leave them off.

You will find lots of examples with one accent or the wrong accent, but
as this is a borrowed French word, it is not really subject to majority
rule by people ignorant of French spelling and pronunciation
conventions.

The New York Times gets this one right, possibly alone among American
newspapers.

Dick