re: An Engineer has infected my mind

Subject: re: An Engineer has infected my mind
From: "Sierra Godfrey" <kittenbreath -at- hotbot -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 11:36:30 -0700

Today I have a better understanding of the situation between the engineer's view point and myself.
Thank you to all for helping me in that.
I would like to clarify some things:

Andrew Plato wrote:
"A good manual addresses multiple audiences simultaneously. Some people prefer
straight reference data to tutorials (myself being one of those people). I find
tutorials boring and a waste of time - but I respect the fact that some readers
do like this.

You should do both. If you don't have time - then I'm on the engineer's side.
Raw data is ugly but more functional that pretty tutorials. Put the tutorials
in on the next version."

I'm not sure I can agree with this. If raw data is more important than steps showing the reader how to perform the task, then my job is not necessary here-the engineer has already done it for me.

Andrew continues:
"Also, assuming that an engineer is a prick just because he/she has a differing
opinion about documentation is unfair. I've watched many a tech writer blab
their unwanted and uninformed opinions about user interfaces and software
functionality to engineers. Their are things engineers know that you don't
know. Engineers have a different perspective and that is not always a bad
thing. Try to see things through their eyes. "

I definitely do NOT think he's a prick because of this. I'd have to be pretty silly to hate everyone with a differing view point. It's the best thing sometimes-it opens your mind when someone else have a different point of view. All the list responses so far have been good because they differ, and thus made me think.
The engineer is a prick from before. Despite that, I have worked with him fine in the past, and do not wish to cause any strife with him. I would never condescend to blab my opinions to him. I don't have enough years on me to do that. This engineer has a doctorate and is extremely smart. I respect his opinion because he knows.

But I also realize that he sees things in one way on this project and isn't willing to open up to any other way of writing documentation than a reference manual. His manifesto yesterday on that subject was what confused me.

Sierra

HotBot - Search smarter.
http://www.hotbot.com