RE: Stalking the wiley tech writer

Subject: RE: Stalking the wiley tech writer
From: "Humbird, LenX" <lenx -dot- humbird -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 12:25:35 -0700

Well, the plumber is probably right. That water heater valve is big - you
can't miss it!

Being a tech writer, you should be concerned with those crappy little knobs
on the valve. Definitely needs a usability study. Probably a brand new
methodology needs to be invented as well. I've had to use a heavy duty screw
driver wedged in the fins of the knob to get some leverage on the damn thing
to shut it off. (And with the force it took to stop the dripping, I was damn
lucky it didn't break off!)

A coolant leak I had on my Honda Civic - that was an excercise in
frustration. Even when you have the correct tool, the bolt head still rounds
off. I had to drill it out and tap and die it. Metal shards everywhere,
including under my fingernails.

If this ever happens to you, just die and get it over with.