RE: Political Correctness (Was Re: Master/Slave)

Subject: RE: Political Correctness (Was Re: Master/Slave)
From: "Don Sargent" <dsargent -at- webmethods -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:01:00 -0400

I haven't, and won't, read any of the previous posts about this topic. I
accidentally read this one and found your assertions so interesting that I
thought I'd respond...as a really lame Socrates. :)

Aoidin Scully said:

"Most of the technological language we use today was made up by middle class
white males. "

Most of our *entire language* was made up by (upper and) middle class white
males. Does that mean we should reconsider the entire English language?

As for "abort", I'm not sure what its origin is, but I assure you it
pre-dates computers. Are you suggesting that we try even harder to use
unfamilar words when teaching folks about technology?

When a word becomes associated with something unpleasant, should we stop
using it elsewhere? Should we stop "beating" eggs, "punching" holes in
paper, or "kicking" habits?