Re: techwr-l digest: May 15, 2000

Subject: Re: techwr-l digest: May 15, 2000
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 03:18:45 -0700

(*snip*)

> Create a special terminology mapping glossary at the back of each
book
> having the following structure:
>
> New Politically Correct Term Equivalent Offensive Term
> -------------------------------------
> Controller/Controllee Master/Slave
>
> To avoid the confusion and misunderstandings that would arise from
each
> writer arbitrarily adopting different PC terminology for commonly
used
> technical terms such as Master/Slave, there would have to be an
> adopted standard that everyone would abide by.

(*snip*)

The only problem with 'Controller/Controlee' is, since we're talking
disk drives, on the motherboard, there is a disk controller ... which
could make for a bit of confusion amongst the techs. :o)

Finally, in a bout of "political correctness" in my high school years,
I proposed, in an article published in my high school newspaper, the
following (reproduced as nearly as I can recall -- it's been a few
years):

"Somebody really ought to come up with a word that combines She, He,
and It just to remove any ambiguity."

It was quite an ego-boost to hear people snickering about that in the
halls ... but my editor didn't share my joy, for some reason.

Imagine!

--gdw