Re: TW Trade Schools..Do U?

Subject: Re: TW Trade Schools..Do U?
From: "Sandy Harris" <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 12:26:37 -0400

Win Day wrote:

> >interesting question. I didn't even know that there were trade schools that
> >taught technical writing.
>
> Sure there are. Frequently I've seen this type of program offered at the
> same places that offer MCSE training.

Must Consult Someone Experienced
Moron Confused by Sun Equipment
Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert

Is there a site somewhere that collects this sort of thing? I found one once
with 100-odd for IBM:

Incomplete But Marketable
I've Been Misled (for employees: I've Been Moved)
It's Better Manually

and of course there are lots of others:

It Still Does Nothing
Most Applications Crash
Most Applications Crash, If Not The Operating System Halts

Sometimes I'd like access to such a collection, to lighten up something I'm
writing.

Along those lines, I highly recommend the jargon file or "hacker's dictionary":

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/

and Stan Kelly-Bootle's wonderful "Computer Contradictionary". The only def'ns
I recall offhand are:

downtime:
the period during which the system is stable and immune from user input

endless loop:
see loop, endless

Anyone who works with computers and appreciates good writing should buy it.