Re: documenting a mess

Subject: Re: documenting a mess
From: "Gerry Gaffney" <gerry -at- infodesign -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 09:57:01 +1000

Given that you can't fix user interface problems in the documentation, is
there any possibility of conducting usability testing?

Even cheap and informal testing can be extremely effective politically,
provided the right people either participate, view the tests, or see video
or documentary evidence of the results.

I've been on more than one project that was *completely* revamped (in one
case, abandoned) after usability testing finally forced developers and
managers to face facts.

Usability testing can be easy and cheap to conduct. Even if you only get 2
people to try to use the system, you should uncover the extent of the
problems from the user interface point of view. (You need to make sure you
use 'real people' and give them realistic tasks.) You can even do it using
paper prototypes.

Good luck!

_____________________
Gerry Gaffney