Re: Word-to-Frame-to-Word

Subject: Re: Word-to-Frame-to-Word
From: "Michele Marques" <mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 11:39:19 -0400

Mark Dempsey mentions that when he is saving his FrameMaker
document as RTF, his PC seems to hang.

I do a lot of "save as" RTF in FrameMaker 5.5.6 . I have found that
if there are pictures (even if referenced in FM rather than
embedded), then FM will save *very* slowly and sometimes hang. I
don't know if this is fixed in FM6.

If you need images in your RTF, I see two alternatives:
(1) use a 3rd party filter
(2) remove your pictures from your FM document before saving and
re-link them back in Word.

Note that you will also have hidden conditional text visible in your
RTF documents. If you don't want them in the RTF, you need to
delete the conditions (and the have FM delete the text) before
saving as RTF.

If you do all these deletions before saving as RTF, I recommend
that you work on a copy of the document.

Michele Marques
Lead Technical Communicator, CMS Manufacturing Systems
mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com
905-477-4499 x280