Project costing

Subject: Project costing
From: "Gabrielle Isenbrand" <gisenbra -at- helper -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 18:09:30 -0400

Hi folks, I'm de-lurking for a bit...hope somebody can help me with
this, because I have absolutely no clue.

I need a general, order-of-magnitude idea for how much it would
cost my company to hire a contract tech writer to create a manual
for our product. This isn't for an actual quote! It's just a reality
check to compare against what we're currently paying our inhouse
tech writer (me). This was actually requested by management,
much to my surprise!

We market a Windows-based, "shrinkwrap", low-cost software
package. It's basically billing software for psychotherapists
(although it also includes an appointment scheduling module). For
a contractor, this project would involve learning a bit about the task
domain - medical billing - and, obviously, learning the software ad
nauseum.

The manual would consist of the usual TOC, a "getting started"
tutorial, about seven or eight chapters covering major program
components, a troubleshooting section, and an index. It would
probably run somewhere around three hundred pages.

For a frame of reference, we figure it would take me about three
months to write this manual, and I already know this program
inside and out!

Any educated guesses, anyone? Really, all I need is an order of
magnitude. Thanks!

Gabrielle Isenbrand
Tech writer, HR coordinator, head cook & bottle washer
Brand Software