Tech writers doing UI design

Subject: Tech writers doing UI design
From: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 14:30:57 -0700

Good afternoon,

In the interests of making my job easier, I plan to approach my boss with
the hopes of participating in/contributing to the user interface design
process. We are a 100-person company whose processes have been, well,
sketchy at times. The hope is that by becoming involved at the front end I
can encourage more user-friendly interfaces and get a leg up on the whole
documentation process. It seems a natural connection, and, as I understand
it, a fairly common one among tech writers.

So, I'm interested in hearing from fellow tech writers who have been
involved (formally or informally) in interface design. Specifically:

* Do you have any formal training in UI design? Any particular books you'd
recommend (I'm planning on reading "The Humane Interface" among others)?
* What percentage of your time is devoted to UI design?
* How do you participate? Are you in on the earliest design meetings?
* When developers have to design a new feature, do they approach you first,
or create it and then approach you for changes or suggestions?
* Any other advice?

Thanks. DB.

Darren Barefoot
Meridian Project Systems
Manager of Documentation
604-904-0822 ext. 112
dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com
www.mps.com

I have made this letter longer than usual, only because I have not had the
time to make it shorter. - Blaise Pascal