RE: Bilingualism in TW

Subject: RE: Bilingualism in TW
From: salatas <salatas -at- micron -dot- com>
To: "'Rowena Hart'" <rhart -at- xcert -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 16:39:52 -0600

Rowena Hart asked:

- Are there any trends in tech writing toward
hiring bilingual writers, especially those who
are bilingual in an Asian language?

My department's TW job description lists knowledge of a foreign language as
a definite plus. As a result, nearly all of our tech writers have at least
studied a foreign language. My company is also sending me to classes to
learn Italian. We have a facility in Italy, and some of my documentation is
being translated. A knowledge of the target language is invaluable in
writing for an international audience.

- How many tech writers use two or more
languages in the workplace?

I try to use some Italian in my e-mail messages to Italian SMEs. They
haven't replied with anything unkind so far.

- How many tech writers have moved to another
country in order to learn the language (while still
working in the field)?

So far, my company hasn't sent me to Italy, but I'm not sure that it's
permanently out of the question.

- How many tech writers do research in another
language but write in English? What are some
of the challenges you face?

I wouldn't call it research (yet), but I do try to read the translated
documentation for practice and to learn the technical terminology.

I just completed a graduate class in Internationalization and Marketing of
Technical Communication. We used Nancy Hoft's book, International Technical
Communication, as a text. I am also developing an Internationalization
"Cookbook" for my company intranet as a resource for technical writers and
trainers.

Salette Latas
salatas -at- micron -dot- com