Re: FrameMaker + SGML

Subject: Re: FrameMaker + SGML
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: "FrameSGML List" <FrameSGML -at- onelist -dot- com>, Free Framers <framers -at- omsys -dot- com>, Techwrl-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 15:38:47 -0700 (MST)

At 12:15 PM 5/4/00 -0700, Steven J. Owens wrote:
> I'll turn this around. I'm quite familiar with SGML and XML,
>though more from a programming perspective. What's does the FM+SGML
>option provide? Is there any support for XML (a streamlined subset
>of SGML)?
FM+SGML provides a WYSIWYG way to create structured documents that can be
exported to SGML or XML. SGML document instances can be round-tripped; XML
document instances can only be exported.

An Element Definition Document (EDD) defines the content model for each
element type in the document structure, using SGML syntax. The EDD also has
format rules which can be context-sensitive, as well as being determinable
by the values of attributes in the element itself or in one of its
antecedants. The EDD can be initially created from an existing DTD
(obviously, format rules must be added), or, if there is no pre-existing
DTD, one can be created from the EDD.

A template is created by importing the EDD into an empty FrameMaker
document. During the import action, all of the tags (e.g., paragraph,
character, cross-reference) that are defined in the EDD format rules are
created in the catalogs of the template. The template designer must then
format these tags to conform to the requirements of a style guide and/or
other document design requirements.

To create a new document, the author simply selects the applicable template.
This creates an empty document, which must begin with a root element that
the author selects (there can be any number of different root elements).
Authors do not have to understand SGML or XML in order to create/edit
documents, although an option is provided to display SGML element tags for
those who are twisted enough to want them.

Guided editing is supported by an element catalog which lists the elements
that can be inserted at the current insertion point, plus an interactive
structure view, which shows the hierarchical structure of the document to
any desired level of granularity, plus the attribute values of individual
elements. The attribute values of any element can be viewed/edited. A number
of other useful tools are also provide to assist authors, including a
structure validator that stops at each invalid point in the document and
indicates the nature of the problem (e.g., missing required element, missing
required attribute value, invalid attribute value, element is invalid at
current location, etc.). Unlike many SGML author/editor products, however,
FM+SGML does not prevent invalid elements from being inserted (this, as
Martha would say, is a "good thing.").

A particularly valuable feature of FM+SGML is that it can detect and
automatically correct any attempt by authors to override the format rules in
the EDD. Although ordinary FrameMaker has a similar capability, it is
nowhere near as rigorous as it is in FM+SGML. For example, if an author
attempts to apply a tag other than the one specified in the EDD format
rules, the EDD-specified tag (and all of its formatting) will be restored.

My own experience is that I can create a structured document much faster
than I can an unstructured one, because I am completely freed of all
concerns about formatting, allowing me to concentrate wholly on content.
That, plus the assurance that every document is consistently tagged with no
format overrides justifies, in my mind, the use of FM+SGML even when there
is no SGML or XML requirement. It allows me to produce better documents
faster.

An SGML/XML import/export application definition must be created for each
EDD/DTD combination. Essentially, this definition specifies the names of all
relevant files and directories involved in import/export operations. In
addition, it includes a read/write rules file that specifies how various
elements and their attributes are to be translated on import and export. The
same application definition can be used to export both XML and SGML document
instances. During XML export, a cascading stylesheet is also created. The
styles in the style sheet are derived from the format rules in the EDD and
the formatted tags in the FM+SGML document being exported. Consequently, the
resulting XML document instance should, when opened in an XML-aware browser
(e.g., IE 5) replicate the formatting of the original FM+SGML document.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.