Re: (experience) Misguided Love

Subject: Re: (experience) Misguided Love
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:34:01 -0700 (PDT)

<snip>
Though I'm not looking for a job right now, I've
always wondered how I would handle the following
scenario:
You see an job ad for a technical writer. As with all
job ads, it has a list of requirements. You happen
meet all the requirements but one:
MUST have 3 YEARS EXPERIENCE with AdobeSoft WordMaker.
You are an expert in the technology that company
specializes in. But you don't 3 years experience with
AdobeSoft WordMaker. And other than that, you feel you

are more than capable to handle the job.
Would you apply for the position or not?
</snip>

As someone who *IS* looking for a new job, YOU BET
YOUR SWEET BIPPY!!!!!

Most job requirements are suggestions (at least in my
opinion). I consider myself an advanced user if not an
expert in many techpubs tools. Do I have 3+ years
experience in each? Hardly... I've been in the
profession for 5 years. But... I've had some kick-butt
positions with some really great companies. The
workload was steadily fierce, so I had to get up to
speed in various tools as fast as possible if I wanted
to swim.

When I see a company looking for someone with 3+
years' experience in a tool, I see a company looking
for someone who doesn't need hand-holding. The years
they tack on to the requirement are meant to filter
out newbies in that technology/skill. If you use
WordMaker 2000 Pro exclusively and use its advanced
features regularly (and design templates and such in
that tool), IMHO you fit the profile for the job (as
far as that tool's concerned).

Just my opinion/experience.

- Bill

http://im.yahoo.com/