<No subject>

Subject: <No subject>
From: "John Prince" <JPrince -at- e-talkcorp -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2000 11:39 -0600

Mike Starr wrote:

"I'm often amused that the same folks who have no qualms about the long, steep
learning curve for FrameMaker aren't willing to invest a similar amount of time
learning Microsoft Word because they have a prejudice against it."

I'm not sure about the "long, steep learning curve," Mike. I learned Frame
*before* I did Word, and althtough Frame is a little more complex, I found that
it's power made up for it. Within a year I became a FrameMaker ACE (I fell in
love with the application).

"They expect that because it doesn't work exactly the same way
as Frame that it doesn't have the capabilities."

Well, it doesn't--plain and simple. In addition, a lot of Frame's capabilities
that Word *does* possess are often extremely painful to execute. I trained our
department how to use Frame two years ago. Now, many of them use Frame to
produce even the smallest of document. They *all* hated Word and are grateful
for a product like Frame.

"I learned how to use Microsoft Word to produce high-quality, large
documents instead of carping about how I'd much rather use something else"

Mike, I have produced 10,000+ page documents in Frame, and I simply do not see
how the same jobs could have been completed in Word in the same amount of time
(if they could have been completed at all).

"I've also learned how to use FrameMaker, PageMaker, Ventura and Quark."

As have I, including Interleaf (which is underrated, BTW). I commend you for
learning the products before comparing them - I wish more people would do that.

"They all have pretty much the same sorts of capabilities; it's just a matter of
learning how to drive them."

Hmmm . . . I don't know if I'd say they have the same sorts of capabilities, but
that's another thread (beginning with "What's the difference between Frame and
Page). ;-)

"Having used them all, right now, I'd still
choose Word as my tool of choice."

Once again I commend you, Mike. You're sticking by your convictions, and that's
terrific. With that said--in all honesty--I would not accept a job that required
me to use Word instead of Frame to produce 1000+ page documents. The main reason
is because I'd think the person who made that decision (the person in charge) is
incompenent, and I wouldn't want to work for someone like that.

-jp

Teknekron Infoswitch is now e-talk Corporation. Visit our website at www.e-talkcorp.com.