Re: Estimation of Frame Learning Curve

Subject: Re: Estimation of Frame Learning Curve
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: "Leary, William" <wleary -at- laquinta -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 00:14:28 -0700 (MST)

At 02:26 PM 5/2/00 -0500, Leary, William wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>Thanks for the input on the tools. It seems as if Frame is the clear
>recommendation for large docs. I was wondering if anyone had any estimates
>on how long it takes someone to get productive in FrameMaker. We have a user
>who will be the one using the tool we recommend, and she currently uses Word
>for all docs. If we sent her to training, how long do you think it would be
>before she would be comfortable using Frame? I've read about how Frame is
>not a tool you can take home over the weekend and figure out, and want to be
>able to get an idea of how long it took you.
I'd recommend starting with Adobe's Classroom In a Book for FrameMaker. If
that doesn't get the person jump-started, then a formal class (typically 3
or 4 days) should be considered.

Anoother way to reduce the learning load is to get outside help in
developing a template for your documents, including documentation of the
template design. Once a template is done and documented, it shouldn't take a
newbie long to get up to speed, because they don't have to use the more
difficult features of FrameMaker. As they progress further, it's likely that
ordinary curiosity will seduce them into an inspection of the template
design in more and more detail, yielding a growing understanding of the
underlying FrameMaker features that were used to build the template.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.