re: two interfaces, one product

Subject: re: two interfaces, one product
From: "Mason, Catheryn" <CMason -at- INFINITEC-COM -dot- com>
To: "Techwhirler List (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 14:58:24 -0500

Scott writes: "I am writing paper documentation for a product that has two
different interfaces ... I'm trying to decided whether to start a new guide
just for the second interface, or somehow intertwine the second interface
into the first."

Scott:
I deal with the same situation, and I've handled it by writing one manual
with two separate parts (there are additional sections/chapters within those
parts). The very beginning of the manual addresses global operational
issues and provides "what you need to know to get started" information.
Part I details the menu-driven UI. Part II details the graphical UI, which
is Windows-based. Since the UI versions are significantly different, even
while accomplishing the same tasks, it makes the most sense to me to
document them separately, but packaged in one manual.

Just the way I've chosen to address this situation ...

Catheryn Mason, Technical Writer
Infinitec Communications
Winner, 1999 IABC Bronze Quill Award of Excellence for Technical Writing
2000 IABC Merit Award for Technical Writing
2000 IABC Merit Award for Promotional Writing