Re: Re. Tools: Word/Weird?

Subject: Re: Re. Tools: Word/Weird?
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 18:13:56 -0400

"Hart, Geoff" wrote:

> Kari Kristine Gulbrandsen wondered <<why does everybody hate Word? Granted,
> I have run into some problems with it-- but nothing that I couldn't work
> around or do differently.>>
>
> Most of us have a love/hate relationship with the software, quite apart from
> the knee-jerk reaction to distrust anything produced by Microsoft. A large
> part of the problem is that Word is such a fine tool for writing, and it's
> deeply frustrating to encounter all the glitches that periodically rise up
> and bite us.

I'm baffled by your posting. It is logically inconsistent to say Word is
a fine tool for writing, but if you use it you will encounter glitches
and frustrations. Have you tried WordPerfect? That program has some
niggling problems, but it handles large documents, tables and TOC
indices almost seamlessly. It has a publish to PDF that works well if
you have standard fonts and no graphics. It also has a reveal codes
function so when the pesky codes sneak in and interfere, just open
reveal codes and delete them.
Just my NVHO

--
Peter

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig.
You soon realize they both enjoy it.