RE: Copyright your work

Subject: RE: Copyright your work
From: Chuck Martin <CMartin -at- serena -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 09:54:27 -0700

Far be it from me to argue a legal opinion coming from an attorney, but....

While #2 is correct, I am not convinced of the complete trueness of #3. From
what I have learned of copyright law, the lack of filing of copyright does
not mean that the copyright cannot be defended in a suit. If a copyright is
not filed, only actual damages can be awarded if the copyright is found to
be infringed. The filing of copyright allows punitive damages to be awarded
as well.

And because of #2, copyright is automatically awarded to any Work put in
tangible form. The columns in this case did indeed have copyright
protection. Methinks the judge in this case was incorrect (I won't speculate
as to why), and like many cases that get lots of publicity upon the initial
decision, will get overturned on appeal (with little or no publicity
whatsoever).

--
"I don't entirely understand it but it is true: Highly skilled carpenters
don't get insulted when told they are not architects, but highly skilled

Chuck Martin, Sr. Technical Writer
cmartin -at- serena -dot- com

are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message.