what's better: start-ups or public companies?

Subject: what's better: start-ups or public companies?
From: YvonneGuzman -at- cs -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 15:53:01 EDT

Hi everybody-

Some of you may have seen the message I posted a few days ago requesting
feedback from people about what it is like to work for a startup when it gets
bought by a bigger public company. (I'm writing an article for my school's
newsletter on this topic). Thanks to everyone who sent me messages.

I am still looking for information, though. Specifically, one of themes of
the story is: what kind of person likes to work for a public company as
opposed to a start-up, and vice versa, and frankly I didn't hear much from
people on that point. So if there is anyone out there who can say anything
about what it's like to get burned out at a start up, or why you think
start-ups are better, please send me a message.

As before, if you are messaging me, please let me know if it's okay to use
your
name and, if so, let me know how you'd like your name to appear in
print. Also please tell me if it is okay to name the companies that you
discuss in your message, and please include as much of the following as you
are comfortable
seeing published:

* your age
* the city or state where you live
* the company where you currently work

thank you!
yvonne

p.s. I am including the text of the original message in case you missed it
and want to get more of a feel for what I'm doing.