RE: Trying to flee the country

Subject: RE: Trying to flee the country
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: Carter Campbell <ccampbell -at- STERNE -dot- AB -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 16:21:16 -0400

At 02:13 PM 4/26/00 -0600, Carter Campbell wrote:

> Canada is a great place to work.... if you don't mind the 62.5%
income tax rate
> and another 15% tax on anything you buy. Can you believe the tax
on alcohol
> is 80%? Now that's just nasty!

Jeez! Where the hell are you living?! And how did you manage to
get into a 62.5% tax bracket as a technical writer? What, you have a seven
figure income or somethig?!

Carter Campbell

If he's in Ontario, he must be in the 7-figure range! The Ontario provincial income tax rate was less on this year's return than last year's -- my husband and I (who even together don't approach a 7-figure income!) went from just over 50% to just under 50% for the combined federal-provincial marginal income tax rate.

Note the word "marginal". That's tax on additional dollars earned. Our overall tax was significantly lower than that (but I don't remember the figure off the top of my head).

Win

Win Day
Technical Writer

http://www.wordsplus.net