Re: Experiences with ToolBook II Assistant 7.0

Subject: Re: Experiences with ToolBook II Assistant 7.0
From: John Ballard <JohnBallard -at- DigitalCourseBooks -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 12:30:50 -0500

Hello Suzanne,

I develop with Instructor instead of Assistant, but the only difference
is that with Instructor you can write custom scripts in Openscript.

A great resource for help with the export problems is the Toolb-l
listserv:

http://www.biocom.arizona.edu/tbook/

If you are using Assistant, I wouldn't recommend deployment with Neuron
for two reasons.

1. User's have to download the Neuron plug-in--which is a whopping
7.5MB.

2. The big advantage of the Neuron browser is that you can use
Instructor
to write your own Openscript scripts and have the Neuron browser run
them.

Since you are using Assistant, your use of Openscript is limited to the
pre-built widgets which have pre-made scripts.

One option might be to use the Action System and export your course as
DHTML. This is a limited system, but it requires no plug-in for the
user.
It's great for simple courses.

Java is not a bad option either, but I'm not sure of Assistant's
capabilities for this. I believe the catalog specifies which widgets are
Java-based and which are Openscript-based.

If it's a relatively simple course, you might want to look at using
Macromedia's Dreamweaver with Coursebuilder extensions. It comes as a
bundle and is not that expensive. It doesn't require the user to have a
plug-in either.

http://www.macromedia.com/software/coursebuilder/

Hope this is helpful,

John Ballard