RE: How many have this problem at work?

Subject: RE: How many have this problem at work?
From: Chuck Martin <CMartin -at- serena -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:35:49 -0700

No, no, no, and, just for good measure, no.

Technical communicators, or at least, not the ones I work with, and
certainly not me, are not secretaries sitting in a pool with a 8-5
punch-in-and-punch-out schedule and an expectation that their hands are
working on the keyboard during the entire punched-in time. I am paid not
only for what I do, but also for what I know, and for what I know how to do.

But as good as I am at what I do (and I've been tabbed with a "superstar"
label by more than one observer, although I would never adopt the term to
describe my capabilities), I'm also quite aware that (a) there are many
things that I don't know, and (b) this field is in constant motion, with new
things to learn and new roadblocks to overcome daily. I'm no more god's gift
to doc teams everywhere in my work life than I am god's gift to men
everywhere in my social life. Improving and bettering myself is an ongoing
process in every facet of one's life, both work and non-work. Part of what
*must* be done as a knowledge worker is to always be refining and enhancing
that knowledge. Your company is paying for that just as surely as they are
paying for the words that are produced.

Now I'm trying to decide just how offended I should be at the morally
superior insinuation that anyone not at the fingers-on-the-keyboard
grindstone for an entire 8-hour day has a less-than-ironclad conscience and
merely poses as a writing pillar. Speaking for myself, I know that I have
used this list for information, sometimes information that neither I nor the
others around me had, information that was critical to getting my job (you
know, the one I'm getting paid for) done, and done on time. Ditto for other
areas of the Internet, not to mention my extensive library or resource books
and magazines.

But stepping outside the work-related arena, the vast majority of companies
these days don't begrudge its workers a reasonable amount of personal
activity on company time, especially in the knowledge worker industry. No
one should be made to feel guilty for making a phone call to arrange either
a doctor's appointment on a lunch date on company time. Or for using email
or the Internet to do similar tasks. A realization has begun to exist, this
last part of the 20th century, that workers are not robots owned by the
company, that lives go on--and sometimes must be managed--during work hours.

That all said, like probably many others, I also devote a lot of my non-work
time (and money) to bettering myself in my field. I'm certainly not getting
paid for those hours, nor am I doing it to push myself along some career
path. I do it so I can do my job better, just as a physician reads medical
journals to do his/her job better (and probably sometimes at their offices).

Its absurd to think that any activity not directly related to actual
production work must get explicit approval ahead of time. To suggest that
someone needs to do that is an insult, a slap-in-the-face accusation that
they don't manage their time and tasks well (not to say that some people
don't). It sends a message from management that the workers are not trusted.
I guarantee you that this is not a good message.

Historically, my bosses have known that I use the Internet, and not always
for pure work. (Who doesn't have a stock ticker on their desktop that
contains their own company's stock price?) I've had a manager come up behind
me in my cubicle when I was checking non-work things out on the Internet;
it's no different that any other break. This same manager also asked me at a
later time to design a new piece of software that the company wanted to
create. I'd say he trusted me. It may have helped that documentation that I
worked on won favorable mention on more than one occasion in magazines'
software reviews.

Bottom line though, I can guarantee you this: a company that has its panties
tied in such a tight bunch that they won't allow Internet access, list
subscriptions, and the like, is *not* going to get the benefits of *my*
knowledge and skills. Life's too short and too valuable to waste on such a
repressive, close-minded enterprise.

<snip>

--
"I don't entirely understand it but it is true: Highly skilled carpenters
don't get insulted when told they are not architects, but highly skilled

Chuck Martin, Sr. Technical Writer
cmartin -at- serena -dot- com

are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message.