Re: Page Size and International

Subject: Re: Page Size and International
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, <melonie -dot- mcmichael -at- amd -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:13:16 -0400

Melanie,

It depends.

If you are distributing PDF files that you expect your users to send to a desktop printer, do them a favor and design the page to fit A4 paper as well as 8.5 x 11.

If you are sending the job to a commercial printer for production on an offset press, work with the printer (BEFORE you start designing the book) to determine what sizes work best on the press sheet you are using. Then select a size in that range that works from a usability standpoint.

Press sizes and sheet sizes are not US vs. European. They simply vary from press manufacturer to press manufacturer and mill to mill. The only place standard paper sizes come into play is with office equipment.

HTH,

Dick

From: melonie -dot- mcmichael -at- amd -dot- com