RE: hypertext links used with FrameMaker for pdf file

Subject: RE: hypertext links used with FrameMaker for pdf file
From: Lisa McG------- <LMcG------- -at- thefund -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:37:06 -0400

This pdf template that J. Waddell sent me was really interesting to look at
and to refer to for future project. What a great list to go to such lengths
to help people.

I noticed that "Jump Back" and "Button Matrix" are listed in the table on p.
402 of the FM user manual as not working in pdf. But Waddell's pdf's buttons
work.

I also noticed that when I used the Open Document link in FM, I can jump to
a different document in the book and leave the previous document's window
open in the background. However, when I try clicking on the link in pdf, I
can't close a window and return to the previous document, so it seems a
waste of time to use it for that purpose even though it says in the table on
p. 402 that Open Document works in pdf the same as in FrameMaker. Seems like
the Acrobat Reader "go back" icon will be the way back to the previous point
in the document before the link. I can't put in anything that will show in
the print version of this 800-page book and the goal is to not have to add a
lot of extra steps to maintain in Acrobat each year when we update this
particular book. If we ever move to pdf only, then I will have more choices
in what I'm allowed to add to the book design each year.