Re: Editing PDF Files

Subject: Re: Editing PDF Files
From: "Guru Kamath" <guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 23:20:19 +0530

Hello all,

There have been some excellent answers and help. Surprisingly, no one has
so far mentioned third party software which is available to convert PDF
files to other formats (notably Word and FrameMaker). This would afford the
highest level of editing -- of both texts and graphics. Indeed as Max and
Erick have said, the document should not be protected and Adobe Acrobat has
the tools to do SIMPLE editing of a PDF file. Picking up a graphic would be
as simple as copying it. However, if Margaret wants more editing facilities
then the third party tool/s would be the way out. (Also, sorry I do not have
the coordinates. But a search on the net or some archives should unravel
it.)

Adobe Acrobat 4.0 does offer protection from Printing. You can create files
which cannot be printed. Printing to a postscript file and then editing it
is an interesting thought, but I feel not practical in this context (copying
a graphic). But if the idea is to use the postscript file to print a PDF
file -- all we are getting is another copy of the PDF file. If it is
protected for printing then the postscript file (or PDF file) cannot be
created, if not protected then Adobe Acrobat offers minimal editing of the
PDF with its range of tools (the graphics tool in this case).

Hope this helps.

Guru (guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in)