Re: Writing Samples...

Subject: Re: Writing Samples...
From: "Kimberly Lyle-Wilson" <klylewilson -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 19:51:37 GMT

Lately I have been getting more requests for writing samples before an interview. I have problems with this approach, for all the reasons others have already stated, plus I find it a little insulting that my future employers really want a "sterile" interview process that is completely conducted through my resume and writing samples. Who are they hiring, anyway? Me or some silent papers? Do me the courtesy of at least giving me 20 minutes for an interview.

However, I do have a few schemes for dealing with this blind samples problem. First, I ask my employers before I leave what I may use in my portfolio. I work WITH them to find a level that is agreeable to both of us, suggesting ideas if the question seems to confuse. Usually I get leave to "show but don't copy" most materials (excluding information so sensitive that there is no "safe" way to show it, such as business proposals, of course). Preparing give-away samples from show-don't-copy material is a different matter. I handle it this way:

Two of my favorite methods are "limiting" and "denaturing." With limiting, I share only a tiny portion of the documentation that is not very sensitive. For instance, I wrote user documentation for a complicated and highly trade-secretive application, but in my samples I included only the portion describing how to change an address in the database--that's a generic enough process that nothing proprietary was revealed. Another example: I worked in a large company's Y2K team. I promised to show only the materials from very common applications (I chose Microsoft Office 97) that would not indirectly reveal their data strategy or architecture. This worked great. Denaturing is similar: I choose a common product or process, remove references to the company, the product specifics, and/or change the wording to take away anything revealing. For example, to demonstrate my diagramming skills, I chose a complex process diagram, removed a couple key steps, and changed some of the verbiage in the doc. You could also call this blanderizing.

These work very well for me, but they fail to illustrate my best work. I offer only the smallest limited/denatured writing samples (2 or 3 pages from 2 or 3 docs). To see the really nice stuff, full manuals, for example, I will only show those in an interview (and leave no copies), and only if the employer gave me leave to do that much.

A special point on denaturing web pages: I create substitute graphics and logos, in comparable colors and sizes, so the overall look and feel of the design are not lost.

This is a lot of work to do on short notice, though, so your particular tech writer might have trouble getting these to you quickly. I prepare all this at the beginning of my job search so I have them on hand and ready to go if needed.

FWIW I still resist providing samples before an interview, especially e-mailed or faxed, and I let the recruiter know that I hold *them* resonsible for handling sensitive information properly. That, combined with my limiting and denaturing methods, is usually sufficient for me to feel that I am protecting my previous clients.

Kimberly
Wordsmith Ordinaire
Atlanta GA

* currently looking!* <grin>