RE: Negotiation questions

Subject: RE: Negotiation questions
From: Linda Nunes <linda -dot- nunes -at- quest -dot- com>
To: "'anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com '" <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L '" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 07:26:03 -0700

There are a few more questions she has to ask herself - right after she
realizes that it's perfectly OK for her to be in charge of her life and it's
OK to inquire about all questions she has about the job. Moving for a job
is a big deal and it sounds like it's an option for her, not a necessity,
correct?

Looking at the bigger picture. . .the bonus only brings her salary up to
standard for the first year; then it will drop down to substandard. Is this
OK for her and her living expenses?

Salary is only part of the package. Do the other benefits make this a job
that better fits her needs than a job that simply gives her a higher salary?

Is this a good job for the short term? Does it fit her long term goals to
make use of the tuition remission program and them move on to another job
when she has new skills?

If she needs to do more research before she can make an informed decision,
she should do so. Call the prospective employer back today - ask further
questions, then agree on a time for a decision.

And, finally, YES - if she feels she is worth a greater salary, she simply
tells the prospective employer that she cannot accept the position for less
that 'X' amount of salary. If the answer is 'no', then she knows that she
and the employer would not have been a good fit.