RE: Negotiation questions--pets aspect

Subject: RE: Negotiation questions--pets aspect
From: "Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com>
To: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:50:49 -0400

Tracy Boyington addressed Anonymous's concerns about finding pet-friendly
housing. Tracy states:
> You said the company is located near a school...
> based on my personal experience, and that of family and friends,
> it's much easier to find pet-friendly housng (apartment *or* rental house)
in a
> college town. She should investigate her housing options before making a
decision based on
> something that may turn out to be a non-issue.

Tracy is quite correct. It does limit your housing choices, but you will
probably still have options. Many apartment communities have restrictions,
but as Tracy implies, you might have some luck checking ads for rental
houses or townhomes that allow pets (though they might charge extra per
month or a security deposit). We recently moved to a small town near Chapel
Hill, NC, and I found quite a few listings for rental homes that allow pets.

This is also a great time of year to be looking; all the students are moving
out soon.

If you are working with a realtor, Anonymous, some realtors also manage
rentals, so your realtor might be able to help you find a rental now and a
house later.

Tracy adds:
> I personally would prefer to rent a year before buying a home in an
unknown city anyway.

I agree. You'll have time to find a realtor, look at neighborhoods, and it
puts you in much better positon in terms of negotiating for your new home.
Also, many apartments (at least in our area) have a purchase clause, so that
even if you signed a year lease, if you purchase a home after renting for
more than 6 months, they'll let you out of your lease without a penalty.

And one last alternative, if the town you are moving to has any of the
different extended stay hotels in the area (such as Extended Stay America or
AmeriSuites), many of them allow pets. They can be pricey, but maybe the
company would pick up some of the tab, if it gets you there and at work
faster.

Good luck with your decision, Anonymous!

Lydia : )
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer
FarPoint Technologies, Inc.