RE: Negotiation questions

Subject: RE: Negotiation questions
From: "Hightower, Mary" <mary -dot- hightower -at- corp -dot- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: "'anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com'" <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:55:52 -0400

Agreed with what Stan said.

There are corporations what will offer a lower starting salary in hopes you
won't fight it (HR is trying to keep their budget down) or in preparations
for you to counter offer. And don't let them snowball you with "well, we
offer lower salary because we have a great bonus plan and good benefits".
So do other companies, with higher salaries (especially in my part of the
country).

When I started with my current company I did get them to come up a little on
salary, then concerned they'd withdraw their offer, I took it. In
orientation, I found out they had negotiated with one woman for 3 months!
If the company wants you, they'll meet your terms, but you have to be
willing to say, I'm sorry, but this is what I need. Company X is willing to
offer...and if they say no, walk away with confidence.

Remember, most of her negotiations are with HR. If she has any questions,
she should contact the manager that wants to hire her. Example: I could
not start for four weeks from the time of negotiations. HR was fine with
the four weeks.

I told this to the manager that wanted to hire me, who wanted me to start
sooner, and she wanted to know what it would take to get me to come sooner.
I told her. She said, "If [X] is what it will take to get you here, we'll
do it."

I related this to HR - "Oh, okay," was the surprisingly unhappy response -
they initially told me that it was not possible. The agency I was working
through wouldn't even go to bat for me.

Encourage her to negotiate and talk with the manager hiring for the
position. If she can't move until she sells her house, then so be it.

Above all, make sure that whatever they offer her is in that offer letter -
if it isn't stated in the offer letter, make them put it in there.

Thanks!

MEH
Atlanta, GA