Re: Interesting Product Review - Reading the Manual

Subject: Re: Interesting Product Review - Reading the Manual
From: "Gerry Gaffney" <gerry -at- infodesign -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 07:52:12 +1000

The ideal system is so easy to use that no documentation is required, or
rather what little documentation is required is part of the user interface.

From the user's perspective, a system that needs no explanation is clearly
better (although supporting documentation such as requirements,
specifications and dealing with complex situations may be necessary).

Over the last few years, I've spent a lot of time with dozens of users of a
variety of systems (conventional and web-based). If I were to indulge in
sweeping generalisations, I'd say that:

- Very few users read online documentation.
- Some users read manuals, some don't. There who don't, won't.
- Most users seem to love 'cheat sheets', quick reference guides, and the
like, that provide 'just-in-time' information.

I don't believe there is anything we can do to 'to encourage ... users [to]
read the manuals we create', other than making them as useful, short and
accessible as possible. If we do the same with our software, then we give
users what they deserve - usable, well-constructed software supported by
useful, well-designed documentation (and world peace).

- Gerry

_____________________
Gerry Gaffney
Information & Design